During the 1800’s, Lockhart residents would often gather together for church under a shady oak tree or inside of a local home. Newspaper reports in the Lockhart-Post Register reveal our city has maintained an organized Methodist community since before 1855. The exact date for the Methodist Church of Lockhart is unknown, although records from the time reveal the Methodist Church purchased property in 1855. This is also the year that Methodist records show a pastor and congregation in Lockhart. The first home of Methodism in Lockhart was known as the “Adobe Church”.
The first church served the Lockhart congregation until June of 1894 when the Lockhart Methodists moved into their second home.
The Methodist congregation in Lockhart continued to grow and on December 24, 1913, church trustees signed papers for the purchase of a third home for the church. This time, the Blanks Memorial Hall was purchased for the congregation.
Sunday School and Scout Hut Building--
Within a year, the church was already looking for ways to respond to their growing membership. The congregation organized together and constructed a separate Sunday School Room. This building would later serve as the Children’s Sunday School Room and eventually become “The Scout Hut” until the late 1990’s.
Ground Broken for new Chapel Facade--
On June 11, 1952, ground was broken for the new chapel on the front of the building.
By 1961, another cornerstone was set as an Education Building was built onto the back of the church.
Family Life Center--
As the First United Methodist Church approached a new millennium, we recognized another expansion was necessary. In August of 2000, the Family Life Center was built offering several new areas for classrooms, a new kitchen, and a large meeting area complete with its own stage.